Thursday, May 26, 2011

Job Update + Reading List

I have applied to be a full-time bank teller at a bank here in Tulsa. I've gone through a phone interview, a bank teller simulation, and a first-round interview. I am waiting to see when my second interview with the branch manager will be able to meet with me. It will be a full time hourly paid job, but it will be plenty of money for me to start looking for a place to be on my own. I'm nervous and excited! Nervous because this is my first "big girl job," and excited for the potential of being on my own. Wish me luck!

I also realized that I read A LOT, but I don't ever write about what I'm reading. So with that being said, here is a list of books I have finished since January (in the order read):
1. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, J.K. Rowling
After I saw the first part of The Deathly Hallows movies, I decided I needed to read the book again. A lot of times when I am reading, I want to know what happens so bad that I speed through books and read them as quickly as possible. It was just as good the second time around :)

2. The Hunger Games, Suzanne Collins
YOU HAVE TO READ THIS! No seriously, it is SO ADDICTING! It took me a little bit to get into the book because I was dealing with packing stuff up to head back to Norman for my final semester, but we got snow days and I had to wait to get the second and third book in the series. They didn't get here fast enough!

3. Awakened (House of Night Series), Kristen and P.C. Cast
This is book 8 in the series. It's set in Tulsa, so naturally I LOVE the series, but I'm beginning to wonder if it'll ever get wrapped up. Each chapter is a cliffhanger, and each book is a cliffhanger. It surprisingly also takes place over a span of about 4 months (from what I can tell). If you want a pretty easy read, you should check these out. I'm going to love them because it's set in a place I know :)
I whizzed through this book while waiting to receive Catching Fire.
First book is titled Marked

4. Catching Fire (Hunger Games Trilogy), Suzanne Collins
Book two of The Hunger Games, and it throws a curveball right in the middle of it. Seriously, I couldn't put this one down either. I took it with me to meals to read while I was eating. So addicting!

5. Mockingjay (Hunger Games Trilogy), Suzanne Collins
The final chapter of The Hunger Games, and it's just as addicting as the first two. I really want to talk about them a lot, but I want to encourage you to read them because they are totally worth it!

6. The Maze Runner, James Dashner
This is the first book of a trilogy. It was recommended to me by a couple of people, especially because I liked The Hunger Games.It was really hard for me to get into, and then my appendix surgery happened while I was trying to read it. But once I got into it, I couldn't put it down!

7. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Stieg Larsson
I was a little apprehensive about this book because so many people told me it was awful and they hated it. I took it with me and started it during spring break on our way back from Florida. I THOROUGHLY enjoyed this book. It was another one of those that was kind of difficult to get into at first but I couldn't put it down once it started to pick up. I thought it was so good that bought the second book The Girl Who Played with Fire about 10 chapters before I finished this one. Loved it.

8. Water for Elephants, Sara Gruen
Again, this was recommended to me by quite a few people. I also wanted to see the movie, but I like to read books before I watch movies. I LOVED THIS BOOK. It was absolutely beautifully written. I even teared up a little bit during it.

9. The Giver, Lois Lowry
This was given to me by my aunt who is an English teacher for middle school. She couldn't believe I hadn't read it. It was another one that took a while to get into, just because it was so far into the future that my mind couldn't comprehend it. I liked the book, but the ending was a little bit of a disappointment.


As you can see, my book tastes are all over the place.
I feel like I'm missing some stuff here and there, but this may be all that I've read...I feel like that's not very many books for 5 months. I'm kind of slacking here.

Right now, I'm reading Storm Front by James Butcher, and rotating in with it The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson.

I've got quite a few more books on the bookshelf that I intend to read, including The Scorch Trials (James Dashner), Eat Pray Love, The Kite Runner, and starting three separate series: Sookie Stackhouse (True Blood on HBO is based off these books), The Gossip Girl series, and the Pretty Little Liars books.

I also plan on buying Bet Me by Jenifer Crusie, per recommendation of my friend Sam.

I LOVE READING. I'll read just about anything. And I'm the type of person that will finish a book no matter how hard it is for me to get through it.  Any recommendations? Have you read any of these and loved them? I'd love to hear what you have to say!

7 comments:

  1. The Jim Butcher books are SOOOOO good!! I hope you enjoy it. Maybe I'll finally have someone to discuss them with lol.

    Good luck on the big-girl job! I really hope you get it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got Water for Elephants waiting for me on my Kindle! I just finished Mockingjay.. yesterday, I think it was. I really, really enjoyed those books! I'm interested in reading more of her stuff.

    You should do little snippits like these when you finish the books on your list now! I usually read what others recommend, and I'm always looking for more!

    I, personally, didn't care for the House of Night series.. I got them b/c the authors are from Tulsa, but after about book 3 it was getting weird.. and I barely finished the 4th one. I have the 5th.. but haven't opened it lol! It seems like too much was happening in too short of time. Or something..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great reads!! I have to agree with a lot of them :) And best of luck with the job!! I hate/love that nervous and waiting feeling. I am sure you will have no prob bob. Have a great weekend Mallori!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm challenging you now to do the 30 days of books challenge with me and Lauren.

    I've read the Hunger Games tril and I'd be happy to discuss via comments when you do post about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck on the job! :)

    I am loving your new header, and fyi- I grabbed your button for my blog love page! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you already got it, but I gave you a blog award. Just for fun. You know.

    I'm sleepy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on the job interviews! I'm just about to start my 'big-girl' job hunt. Scary times!

    Your reading list is so eclectic, I love it! Once you get through the books you have left to read, I totally recommend ‘The Book Thief’ by Markus Zusak (if you haven’t read it already). It’s one of my faves and, I’m glad to say, everyone I’ve recommended it to has loved it. It's incredibly well written and has such a poignant message; well worth a read!

    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete

Have an opinion about this post? Vent it here!
Thanks for stopping by, I always appreciate feedback! I hope you have a WONDERFUL day! ♥